The effort to ban smoking inside Rhode Island’s two casinos will not progress through shareholder action this year. Trinity Health, a nonprofit with investments in Bally’s Corporation, decided not to resubmit a proposal asking the company to examine how a smoking ban would affect its business.
Last year, the initiative got enough shareholder support to be reconsidered at Bally’s 2025 annual meeting set for May 15. However, Cathy Rowan, who manages responsible investments for Trinity Health, said Bally’s recent buyout by a New York hedge fund led by Soo Kim, the company’s chairman and biggest shareholder, had an impact on the choice not to go ahead. She pointed out that the reshuffle made it unlikely that a similar proposal would get the same backing in a vote, reported The Rhode Island Current.
While backing off from the push at Bally’s, Trinity Health will keep pushing for smoke-free rules at other big gaming companies, including Boyd Gaming, Caesars Entertainment, Wynn Resorts, and Penn Entertainment.
A Bally’s spokesperson said the company plans to tackle the problem in its next proxy statement, which should come out after April 4.
Now that shareholders cannot do anything, people against smoking are putting all their efforts into changing the law. Right now, Rhode Island lets casinos allow smoking even though other indoor places cannot. Patrick Crowley, who leads the Rhode Island AFL-CIO, said again that state lawmakers need to fix this. He is trying to get more lawmakers on board. A new survey that the union asked for shows lots of people agree. Almost 70% of those asked want to stop smoking inside the state’s casinos.
Support for the bill seems to be picking up steam in the Rhode Island House of Representatives. Rep. Teresa Tanzi introduced legislation that has secured a crucial nod from House Speaker K. Joseph Shekarchi, who has shown he is open to thinking about the proposal. Tanzi believes the House will give the green light to the bill this session.
However, it is not clear how the bill will fare in the Senate. Sen. V. Susan Sosnowski put forward a similar bill that first landed in the Finance Committee. Now, it has been moved to the Labor and Gaming Committee, which Sen. Frank Ciccone heads up. In the past, Ciccone has pushed back against a smoking ban. He thinks allowing indoor smoking gives an edge over nearby states with tougher rules.
In February, Ciccone talked with union reps and public health advocates to consider possible compromises, like making bigger non-smoking areas in casinos. He recognized the concerns of those against the exemption but still thought a total ban could hurt casino earnings. Bally’s has predicted that not allowing smoking might cause a 10% drop in revenue and lead to over 120 job cuts at its Lincoln and Tiverton sites. People from the company have said they will show their financial forecasts during hearings with lawmakers.
Union leaders still doubt Bally’s statements about job losses. Matt Dunham, who speaks for casino workers through Table Game Dealers Laborers Local 711, says staff shortages already exist. He notes that Bally’s website shows dozens of open jobs and thinks the company could handle possible money losses without firing people.
As lawmakers get ready to talk about the new rules in the coming months, casino workers and anti-smoking supporters plan to step up their work through rallies and talking to lawmakers. Dunham restated the promise to push for a ban, highlighting the ongoing grassroots work to bring change to Rhode Island’s casinos.
The effort to ban smoking inside Rhode Island’s two casinos will not progress through shareholder action this year. Trinity Health, a nonprofit with investments in Bally’s Corporation, decided not to resubmit a proposal asking the company to examine how a smoking ban would affect its business. Bally’s Shareholders Step Back, Leaving Casino Smoking Ban in