MPs express “deep concern” over planned rollout of affordability checks

  • UM News
  • Posted 7 hours ago

Almost 20 MPs have written to the government expressing their “deep concern” over the potential implementation of affordability checks, as pressure against the controversial measures continue to mount.

The letter, which was signed by 19 MPs representing racecourse constituencies across Britain, was sent to culture secretary Lisa Nandy calling for pause to the checks. 

The Gambling Commission (GC) board is due to meet on Thursday, 21 May, to discuss a possible path forward for the checks, which the regulator calls financial risk assessments, following three closed-loop pilots.

Racing stakeholders and other critics have warned that forcing operators to implement checks on bettors could decimate the sport.

Others have raised concerns black market operators would benefit from consumers who refuse to submit financial documents such as pay slips and bank statements when checks cannot be “frictionless”.

James Noyes, a key adviser to the government on the rollout of the policy, stepped down from a DCMS panel last week insisting the implementation of affordability checks without “meaningful evaluation” was “clearly unacceptable”.

The latest pilot conducted by the regulator found 97% of checks would be frictionless for customers. 

Yet the 19 MPs said they believed there had not been “sufficient parliamentary scrutiny of this policy” and neither has there been a “sufficient level of transparency around the results of the Gambling Commission’s pilot of these checks”.

The cross-party collective included Reform UK’s Robert Jenrick, Restore Britain’s Rupert Lowe, Newmarket’s Tory MP Nick Timothy and parliament’s longest-serving MP, Sir Edward Leigh.

The group warned the checks could deliver a £250m blow to British horseracing should they be implemented.

The letter continued: “The racing industry was assured by the government when the pilot began that no permanent measures would proceed without ministers reviewing the outcomes of the pilot themselves, rather than relying solely on the Gambling Commission’s assessment.

“That position seems to have changed, with the Commission indicating that a decision will be made by its board later this month.

“We believe however that it is essential that the principle of ministerial oversight is upheld. We therefore urge you to ask the Gambling Commission immediately to pause any further progression beyond the current pilot phase until a full and transparent assessment has been undertaken of its impacts on racing, consumers, the regulated betting market and the public finances.”

The GC has stated that no final decision has been made ahead of the board meeting this week.

Elsewhere, the Racing Post has reported that the Betting and Gaming Council (BGC) has written to interim GC chair Charles Counsell over a potential legal challenge around the implementation of the checks. 

Penned by CEO Grainne Hurst, the letter states the checks being put in place at this point in time was “disproportionate and potentially open to legal challenge”.

Nandy, gambling minister Baroness Twycross and acting GC CEO Sarah Gardner were also sent the letter.

A Betting and Gaming Council spokesperson said: “We want the Gambling Commission to properly review these proposals before taking any further steps.

“Evidence from the Commission’s own pilot shows these financial risk assessments are simply not frictionless, with serious inconsistencies in the data and a real risk that large numbers of customers will face intrusive financial checks.

“This has to work for all customers, but the evidence so far suggests these proposals are not fit for purpose and risk driving people away from the regulated market towards the growing illegal online black market, where there are no protections and no safeguards.

“Given the serious concerns raised by operators, there is a real risk the industry could ultimately be left with little choice but to consider legal challenge if these proposals proceed without further scrutiny.”

The post MPs express “deep concern” over planned rollout of affordability checks first appeared on EGR Intel.

 Cross-party group representing British racecourses slam proposed financial risk assessments, as reports suggest trade body has hinted at launching a legal challenge 
The post MPs express “deep concern” over planned rollout of affordability checks first appeared on EGR Intel. 

Get in touch

Let's have a chat