Huge crowd turns out for first Caesars Palace Times Square public hearing

  • UM News
  • Posted 6 months ago
00:00 / 00:00

For many, the phrase “New York City casino” conjures immediate images of the city’s bustling urban landscape, most notably Times Square. At least, that is what Caesars Entertainment, SL Green and Roc Nation are hoping for.

The three companies are partnering on Caesars Palace Times Square, a proposed $5.4 billion renovation of an existing building at 1515 Broadway. It is one of eight bids vying for up to three available downstate New York casino licences.

Hundreds of people were packed into the Borge Hall at Scandinavia House Wednesday for the project’s first public hearing by a local Community Advisory Committee. The appointed CAC must host at least one more hearing before casting a binding vote by 30 September. Four of six CAC members must approve the project for it to continue and potentially receive a licence. The next hearing has not yet been scheduled.

The Times Square project was the second to receive a CAC hearing, though MGM Empire City’s hearing Monday was considerably shorter. Caesars’ meeting stretched for seven hours.

CEOs front and center

Project backers gave a presentation that was a truncated version of one they gave last month. SL Green CEO Marc Holliday again touted his company’s ties to the city, as its largest commercial landlord.

“You have my personal commitment and my team’s commitment that not only will we mitigate any potential impact from our project, but we’re going to implement a plan that will improve traffic flow and decrease congestion throughout [Times Square],” Holliday said.

Holliday reiterated several of the proposal’s key points: the casino floor would not be accessible on ground level; its utilisation of an existing building brings the lowest construction impact; it does not have the capacity to fulfill its demand, meaning nearby businesses would benefit from spillover visitors; and so on.

Making an appearance for Caesars was CEO Tom Reeg, who was not present for the previous presentation. He championed the project’s power to draw international tourism, which is notable given the recent visitation declines in Las Vegas, Caesars’ biggest market.

“This is a unique partnership in the entertainment capital of the world, and we can really create something special that’ll attract international tourists and their spending power that’ll benefit New York’s economy for decades to come,” Reeg said.

He expanded on the company’s pitch to extend its Caesars Rewards programme to local businesses, a perk that is becoming popular among applicants. The programme, he explained, would act in a “hub-and-spoke” model that connects its various properties. As of now, Caesars has no New York ties to offer customers, with its closest property being in Atlantic City.

Clash of the unions

An extensive and sometimes rowdy public comment period highlighted a conflict that has followed the project since its introduction: the support of trade unions versus backlash from the theatre community.

As was the case at a public zoning hearing in the spring, many of the first tranche of speakers were trade reps, with a large contingency representing the Construction & General Building Laborers’ Local 79 branch.

“The simple fact is that there will be a gaming licence awarded to New York City, and this is the proposal that makes the most sense,” asserted Billy King, Local 79’s recording secretary.

Multiple other Local 79-affiliated speakers appeared to repeat phrases in their remarks. One example was: “I look forward to coming to Times Square with my family and pointing to another iconic building built and run by the best-trained union workers.”

Conversely, representatives from actors’ unions and theatre groups were fiery in their opposition.

“We’ve become aware that security is not letting opponents of the casino into the hearing today,” asserted Jason Laks, president of the Broadway League. “SL Green says they want to be good partners and good neighbours, but they can’t even let this hearing happen without trying to rig the process. It’s shameful!”

CAC Chair Carl Wilson said the state gaming commission has been asked to look into the access allegations. Such accusations were made by several speakers throughout the hearing.

“Last year, Broadway added $15 billion to the New York City economy,” said Danny Whitman, executive director of the nonprofit Broadway Cares. “Do you want to be responsible for messing that up?” he asked, pointing at the committee members.

Star power among local residents

The split among residents for and against the project was closer to 50-50 than it was for MGM in its own hearing. Many opponents were concerned about added congestion and lower quality of life for those who live in the vicinity.

“There is no human dignity anymore where we live — nobody cares,” lamented one elderly Hell’s Kitchen resident who did not identify herself. “What else is going to happen that has not already happened to our quality of life? Please think it over.”

A fair number of locals were displeased by the heavy union presence and pushed back against the bid’s projections of benefits. The Caesars proposal calls for about 3,000 construction jobs, the least of the field and roughly a third of the average among the other bidders.

But others offered support for the casino development, noting the area’s steep decline since the onset of the Covid pandemic. Two local celebrities, both friends of Roc Nation and project rep Jay-Z, gave endorsements.

“I’m so excited about this project because New York City is the epicenter of entertainment,” said Joseph Cartagena, otherwise known as rapper Fat Joe. “Wherever I go around the world — I’m going to Mongolia next week — I’m sure I’m going to see New York City on the TV screen.”

Lenard McKelvey, known better as Charlamagne Tha God, host of the popular “Breakfast Club” morning radio show, also gave his support. One of the project’s commitments is a $10 million allocation benefitting the New York Coalition of Legacy Theatres of Color Fund, spearheaded by actor Wendell Pierce. Pierce was a guest on the “Breakfast Club” this month and touted the project and the new fund.

“I believe their commitment is real, they’re not just giving lip service,” McKelvey said of the project’s three partners.

 The first formal community hearing for the Caesars Palace Times Square casino bid drew a lot of interest — as in hundreds of speakers. 

Get in touch

Let's have a chat