The National Lottery is planning a major upgrade to its digital platforms, owners Allwyn announced today, 21 January.
From 11pm on Saturday, 24 January, to the end of Sunday, The National Lottery website and mobile apps will be temporarily offline as the updates are made.
Around 11.8 million player accounts will be migrated to a new account management system and a “refreshed digital experiences offering” will be rolled out.
Allwyn says the new offering includes the largest-ever range of National Lottery games, better player protection tools and an upgraded interface that will create an “even simpler way to play, check results and claim prizes”.
Players will still be able to buy physical tickets from the 43,500 retailers dotted up and down the country during the downtime, with draw results available via YouTube and in-store as usual.
The overhaul forms part of Allwyn’s £400m+ investment in The National Lottery, which, according to the pan-European lottery giant, aims to create more winners and increase returns to good causes.
CEO of Allwyn UK Andria Vidler said: “These much-needed digital upgrades mark another milestone in our transformation to make The National Lottery more player-focused, with new games, more winners and greater support for good causes.
“This is just the beginning of an exciting year for Allwyn and The National Lottery, as we work towards our ambitious goal to double weekly returns to good causes from £30m a week at the start of the licence to £60m by 2034”.
Earlier this month, Allwyn named Snapchat exec Bridget Lea as the new managing director for retail, as part of a revamp of the retail, which included the biggest upgrade since The National Lottery’s launch in 1994, management said.
Owned Czech billionaire Karel Komarek, Allwyn took over the running of the UK’s lottery in February 2024 after being granted a 10-year licence by the Gambling Commission (GC) in 2022. The licence began in February 2024.
As well as securing the fourth lottery licence, Allwyn acquired Camelot UK (deal completed in February 2023), which had run The National Lottery since its inception more than 30 years ago.
However, the GC launched enforcement action against Allwyn in summer 2025 over missed tech implementation targets.
The operator has announced three other M&A deals since then: the controlling interest taken in Novibet in 2024, the merger with subsidary OPAP announced in October 2025 and the majority acquisition of PrizePicks, completed this week
The post Allwyn announces UK National Lottery digital overhaul first appeared on EGR Intel.
Operator says the new system will contain the largest-ever range of games, improved UX and enhanced player protection tools
The post Allwyn announces UK National Lottery digital overhaul first appeared on EGR Intel.