Turkish FA suspends 1,000 footballers on betting breaches, case could unearth systemic integrity weaknesses

  • UM News
  • Posted 3 months ago
00:00 / 00:00

The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) has suspended over 1,000 players across the country’s professional leagues for breaching regulations by betting on football matches.

A total of 1,024 players have been suspended, the TFF confirmed on Monday as an investigation is carried out, including footballers from some of the leading teams in Turkey including Galatasaray, Besiktas and Trabzonspor.  

All players were referred to the Professional Football Disciplinary Board (PFDK) as part of the process.

One of the most high-profile names on the list is Turkish international Eren Elmali, who plays for Galatasaray. The club currently sits first in the Süper Lig, the country’s top division. Following publication of the list, Elmali was withdrawn from the Turkish national team squad ahead of the upcoming World Cup qualification matches against Spain and Bulgaria.

Elmali has since posted a statement on social media, in which he claimed his name appeared on the list in reference to a bet made five years ago. He denied placing any other bets since this wager.

“I want to make clear that my name is included in this file because of a betting transaction I made about five years ago involving someone other than my own team,” Elmali said on Instagram. “Since then, I have neither placed a bet nor had any connection to this matter.”

Lower Turkish leagues suspended amid betting probe

To support clubs during the suspension, the TFF has agreed with Fifa to grant a 15-day transfer and registration period. This will allow clubs to sign new players for a limited time outside the traditional transfer window.

In addition, the TFF has elected to suspend all matches in two lower divisions for two weeks. No games will take place in either the TFF 2. Lig or TFF 3. Lig for at least the next fortnight.

All scheduled matches across the top-tier Süper Lig and TFF 1. Lig will run as planned. No matches are due to take place this coming weekend due to the international break.

“The TFF is continuing correspondence with official institutions, and the investigation will be expanded and continued based on these responses,” the TFF said.

Potential damage to football in Turkey

In terms of the wider impact on Turkish football, Bıçak Law Firm founder Vahit Bıçak tells iGB it could damage the reputation of Turkish football, both reputationally and structurally.

“If the allegations prove accurate, this suggests that betting-related misconduct is not confined to isolated incidents but may indicate systemic weaknesses in integrity education, monitoring and enforcement mechanisms across the football pyramid,” Bıçak says

“The investigation’s scale risks undermining public trust in the fairness and transparency of domestic competitions. Sponsors, broadcasters and fans all expect clear evidence that the sport is governed by strong ethics and accountability. Hence, the PFDK’s proactive stance – although dramatic in scale – should also be viewed as a reaffirmation of Turkey’s commitment to protecting the integrity of the game.”

TFF regulations state any player found to have participated in betting or gambling on football matches, domestic or international, could face disciplinary penalties. These can range from match suspensions and monetary fines to long-term or permanent bans.

However, Bıçak says there are broader criminal law implications. If a player is found to have participated in, facilitated, or benefited from illegal betting, this could trigger prosecution under Law No 7258, which may lead to fines or imprisonment.

A turning point for Turkish football?

He believes the case is so serious that betting regulations in Turkey could be overhauled. This, he said, would introduce clearer oversight mechanisms and reduce the appeal of unregulated markets.

“This investigation has the potential to become a turning point for Turkish football,” Bıçak said. “While it exposes serious integrity concerns, it also presents an opportunity to strengthen regulatory frameworks, improve compliance culture and restore confidence in the sport.

“The key will be ensuring that enforcement is balanced with education and preventive measures, so that future generations of players understand both the ethical and legal consequences of betting activity.

“The distinction between casual betting and organised illegal betting activity is crucial in determining the level of liability and potential criminal exposure,” Bıçak adds.

He explains the case could lead to widespread reform of Turkish sport, as well as the approach towards betting regulation and education. This could include improved education and integrity programmes, closer cooperation between regulators and law enforcement and increased transparency and digital monitoring.

 Turkish international Eren Elmali is among the players flagged for breaching betting rules. Local lawyer Vahit Bıçak suggests the case could result in regulatory overhaul. 

Get in touch

Let's have a chat