Philippines regulator doubles down on stricter oversight of iGaming

  • UM News
  • Posted 6 months ago
00:00 / 00:00

Alejandro Tengco, head of the Philippines Amusement and Gaming Corp, says stricter regulation of iGaming is the pathway to consumer safety, not the industry ban proposed by some lawmakers.

Tengo spoke on Monday at the Light & Wonder iGaming Symposium at Newport World Resorts in Pasay City. Light & Wonder, the Philippines’ first licensed iGaming content supplier, is preparing to launch 50 online game titles in the market.

Philippines’ iGaming gold rush

Last year, Philippines iGaming generated PHP154.51 billion (US$2.725 billion) in gross gaming revenue, up 165% year-on-year. In the first half of 2025, iGaming contributed PHP114.83 billion in GGR, outstripping land-based revenue and boosting Pagcor’s total revenues to PHP59 billion.

According to a 2025 Statista report, Filipino players “have shown a strong preference for online gambling due to its convenience and accessibility. Players can participate in various games and place bets from the comfort of their own homes, eliminating the need to travel to physical casinos.”

And for some, therein lies the problem: easy access that can open the door to underage participation. In July, Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri introduced a bill that would ban all digital gambling platforms. “Let’s not kid ourselves,” Zubiri said at the time. “[Online gambling] now looks like a kid with a phone under the covers at 2am, losing the family’s grocery money on an online casino site.”

A second bill in the House calls for stronger monitoring and oversight. The legislation, supported by Rep Chel Diokno, would impose a 10% tax on iGaming revenue and use the proceeds to fund problem gambling resources. It would bar most iGaming ads, ban the use of e-wallets and place restrictions on credit card deposits. The House bill would also beef up know-your-customer protocols and require iGaming operators to make sure games are not played by those under 21.

Safe, sustainable development

Tengco has consistently defended the online industry, which could reach PHP99 billion in revenue by 2027.

“The iGaming story in the Philippines is no longer just about growth,” he said at the Light & Wonder conference. “It’s about how we grow – safely, fairly and sustainably. We support stricter regulations to protect our people. But we are against a total ban which will only drive players to illegal operators and result in loss of revenues and jobs.”

According to the Philippines Daily Tribune, Tengco pointed to Pagcor’s slate of ongoing reforms. They include the agency’s plan to divest of its owned-and-operated casino assets to become a pure regulator. Also in the works: digital tools like the Pagcor Guarantee portal and AI-driven tools to enhance player monitoring. The regulator will soon introduce a 24/7 problem gambling helpline. Tengco enlisted operators to join Pagcor’s “compliance by design” approach to stem underage and problem gambling, curb money laundering and thwart grey-market providers.

“With responsible growth, compliance, and transparency, the Philippines can develop a safer, stronger and globally competitive iGaming industry,” he said.

 Speaking at a Light & Wonder gaming conclave on Monday, Philippines regulatory chief Alejandro Tengco said a proposed ban on iGaming would only drive players to underground markets. 

Get in touch

Let's have a chat